Sunday, May 16, 2010

May 11 Color My World

"As time goes on I realize
Just what you mean to me
And now, now that you're near
Promise your love
That I've waited to share
And dreams of our moments together
Color my world with hope of loving you "

For those of you born in the last 25 years (Wow! Did I really just say that?!), these are the lyrics to one of THE most popular slow-dance songs of the 1970s - "Color My World" by Chicago.

Fast forward some 40 years (Really? Again?!) and colors make me think of Hailstones and Halibut Bones by Mary O'Neill. Every year I read this wonderful anthology of color poems to my students. They never cease to amaze me with their poems. Lines like:
Black sounds like an evil laugh echoing in your head,
Green smells like grass just sliced up by a lawn mower's blade,
Purple is the sunset when the color drains from the world.

What colors speak to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment